This product is effective in treating various problems: infections, fungal infections, parasitic treatments against Trichodines, Costia, Chilodonella.
The dosage of this product is tricky because it depends on the condition of the pool and the experience of the person treating the pool.
If the pool is clean, the product works effectively.
If the pond is dirty and has a lot of organic matter such as algae, detritus... the permanganate oxidation reaction takes place with these organic matter rather than on the parasites we are targeting.
Therefore, if the pool is dirty, it would ideally be necessary to assess the demand for PP to know the right dosage, knowing that a residual concentration of 1.75 gr/m3 is needed after oxidation of the pool waste.
But this operation requires a precision balance (in mg) ... and is not 100% reliable.
It is therefore preferred to use a dosage of 2 g/m3 which is maintained for 4 to 6 hours or even 8 hours.
In fact you have the choice between a high dose for a short period, or a lower dose for a longer period (8 hours). If the koi are alive before treatment, the first option is possible.
To sum up, the dose of 1 gr/m3 is not dangerous for beginners and eliminates some parasites, but not the most dangerous or the most stubborn...
A dosage of 2 to 3 gr/m3 allows a much more effective action: this dosage is always manageable for beginners.
A higher dosage of 4 gr/m3 is a maximum limit reserved for experts capable of reacting quickly in the event of a problem.
This dosage can kill fish quickly... It is sometimes used when parasites present resistance, or when significant mortality requires rapid and muscular action...
FYI, a dose of 20gr/m3 is used for the sterilization of plants...
Use the product very carefully at a dosage of 2 to 3 grams / 1000 liters.
Strongly aerate the pool because this substance reduces the oxygen concentration in the pool.
Leave the permanganate to act for 4 to 8 hours: the water should remain purple in color.
Then, stop the action of the permanganate by pouring 3% hydrogen peroxide at the rate of 500 to 550 ml per 10 m3 of water.
Treat only on the advice of a veterinarian or experienced specialist.
Protect your eyes and wear gloves, this product is very irritating and can cause permanent blindness.
In case of contact, do not rub the eye, rinse your face with water and call a doctor immediately!
The product corrodes metals including stainless steel
Do not use if you cannot remain near the pool for 6 to 8 hours.
Do not use in combination with other products.
Do not use when pool water temperature exceeds 27°C.
Do not use when the pool cannot be aerated: aerate at least 3 hours before treatment and 12 hours after treatment.
Do not use when an oxygen consuming treatment has been used previously, eg formalin.
Do not use when pond water volume is not known.
Do not use when the KH / GH of the water is very low: minimum 6° KH.
Do not apply if ammonia or nitrites are measurable.
Do not use if fish exhibit respiratory failure prior to treatment.
Do not use at the end of the afternoon if the pool has a lot of algae or plants.
Sturgeons have a specific oxygen requirement: they must therefore be taken out of the tank to treat, unless the dose of permanganate is less than 1.2 g/m3, but this is not without risk.
Permanganate causes a significant loss of bacteria from the biofilter. Just like the pond, strongly aerate the biological filter.
Make sure you have enough permanganate: also provide enough hydrogen peroxide (500 ml to 550 ml for 10 m3 of water for 3% peroxide).
Switch off your UVC sterilizer and/or ozone system: remember to clean the quartz of your sterilizer after the treatment.
1. Begin by cleaning the basin and the filter if necessary.
2. Aerate the pool using diffusers to create good aeration.
3. Weigh the potassium permanganate (PP) precisely then dilute it in lukewarm water: the PP crystals must be well dissolved.
Do not dilute PP and water in a poor quality metal or plastic container!
4. Spread the product very slowly on the surface of the pool, (near a diffuser for example) the water then has a purple color.
5. Record the start time of the treatment: the water in the pool must keep this purple color for at least 4 hours: a period of 6 to 8 hours is optimal.
Stay close to the pond throughout the treatment and monitor the fish.
6. If the water loses its violet color in less than 4 to 6 hours to turn brown, add PP at the rate of 1 gr/m3: always diluted PP and spread slowly on the surface of the pool.
Repeat this operation a maximum of two times at one hour intervals between each application. So 3 applications in total per day maximum.
7. After 6 hours of treatment, pour the peroxide (500 ml / 10 m3) and replace 15 to 20% of pond water.
The parasites become active during the treatment, this causes temporary irritation and the fish can jump out of the water: provide a net if the pool is above ground.
If a problem arises during the treatment, stop the effects of the PP immediately by pouring the peroxide.
Do not ingest.
Keep out of reach of children and pets.
Apply only outdoors or in well-ventilated premises.
Always wear protective gloves when using medication.
Irritating to skin and eyes.
In the event of an accident, contact a doctor immediately and take the original packaging with you.
In case of contact with eyes, rinse thoroughly with water and consult a doctor.
Store cool and protected from light.
We strive to disseminate good, reliable and recognized information: if despite this you should suffer losses during treatment, we decline all responsibility.